THIS IS AN AUDIO ONE MUST LISTEN TO … it is about the Sri Lankan cricketers, aspects of theie cricket, the work of the Foundation of Goodness and so many aspects of the ramifications of cricket in Lanka and its promotion of reconciliation http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/585472.html Alison Mitchell and Kumar Sangakkara in conversation.
* ICC invested 100,000 dollars towards the Murali Harmony Cup
* MCC continued its support
* Grange Hotels London provided 40,000 pounds to create the Oddusuddan cricket grounds with every possible facility (after just one phone call from Sanga).
* The SL Army was central to the work of developing the grounds de nova…. and are involved in a hands-on fashion in most of the social work and development in the north and east.
* St Peter’s College decided its team would intermix in dormitories and did so with the Mullaitivu team. In the result that team came to Jaffna to cheer St Peter’s in their match versus the Jaffna Combined Schools in the final.
* Plenty of cricketing talent in the north and east — some players will eventually rise to the top.
* From way back in Marvan’s time the cricketers have pooled their winnings in funds set aside for social service donations of various kinds — philanthropic investments done without fanfare.
* Kushil Gunasekera and his Foundation of Goodness maintain 20,00 people annually –not just in Seenigama but everywhere.